A new study has linked certain baby formulas with an increased risk in necrotizing enterocolitis (NEC).
Necrotizing enterocolitis is a digestive disease that impacts newborn children, often times premature babies. The bacteria enters the body and erodes the intestinal lining and causes infection. Some symptoms of NEC are:
- Metabloic acidosis
- Tender stomach/ Abdominal distention
- Jaundice appearance
- Abdominal pressure
- Low Blood Pressure
- Abnormal breathing patterns
- Rapid or unusual changes in temperature
NEC is treated by strong antibiotics and discontinuing all oral feeding. Nutrients are supplied intravenously until the infection is eliminated.
Infants with NEC may have future digestive health problems into their adult life.
- Similac Special Care
- Similac Human Milk Fortifier
- Similac NeoSure
- Similac Alimentum
- Similac Alimentum Expert Care
- Similac Human Milk Fortifier Concentrated Liquid
- Similac Human Milk Fortifier Powder
- Similac Liquid Protein Fortifier
- Similac Special Care 20
- Similac Special Care 24
- Similac Special Care 24 High Protein
- Enfamil Human Milk Fortifier Acidified Liquid
- Enfamil Human Milk Fortifier Powder
- Similac Special Care 30
- Similac Human Milk Fortifier Hydrolyzed Protein- Concentrated Liquid
- Enfacare Powder
- Enfamil Human Milk Fortifier Liquid High Protein
- Enfamil Milk Fortifier Liquid Standard Protein
- Enfamil NeuroPro Enfacare
- Enfamil Premature 20 Cal
- Enfamil Premature 24 Cal
- Enfamil Premature 24 Cal/fl oz HP
- Enfamil Premature 30 Cal
- Enfamil 24 and DHA & ARA Supplement
We allege that the makers of the formula knew the increased risk of NEC for many years but failed to warn parents and doctors of the risk.
If your child suffered necrotizing enterocolitis (NEC) and was fed the above formulas, contact Meshbesher & Spence today for a free consultation.